INTERNATIONAL KODÁLY SOCIETY
· The International Kodály Society offers a number of fee waiver scholarships, (which are different than the Sarolta Kodály Scholarship I and II announced by the International Kodály Society and are designated for a “one year Academic study” at the Zoltán Kodály Pedagogical Institute in Kecskemét, Hungary).
· These IKS scholarships are only intended for IKS members to participate in high-quality Kodály training courses organized either offline or online in each year, but not for classes at the Kodály Institute in Kecskemét.
· The maximum amount per Scholarship is $1,000.00 USD.
· As mentioned above, the Scholarship will only cover tuition. All other expenses are to be borne by the recipient.
· The specific course of study is selected by the applicant, and may be an international Kodály course or a program offered in any location, or within the applicant’s own country/locale.
· These Scholarships are non-transferable either to another person or to another course.
· There is no age restriction for application.
· From October 2023 on there will be two rounds of application. Applications must be submitted to the IKS Office no later than
1 November --> Round 1.
1 May --> Round 2.
· All applicants will be notified of the outcome of their application by 20 November at the latest for Round 1. and 20 May for Round 2.
When applying for a scholarship, applicants will need to:
· Have chosen the course they want to attend, being aware that the IKS Scholarship only covers tuition costs and that they themselves have to be able to meet the costs of traveling, lodging and other possible expenses.
The following criteria will be important in the selection procedure:
· musicianship level
· personal statement
· perceived benefits of participation in the chosen course
· in person courses have priority
To ensure due diligence, the IKS Board of Directors reserves the right to ask for additional information about the course, the applicant and/or to organize a personal interview.
It is also important to understand that selection concerns a competition. It means that even applications with high marks may not be winners because of other applications with higher marks.
· Be paid-up members of the International Kodály Society prior to submitting the application, or, if becoming a new member at the time of the application, pay a membership fee for 2 years. (80 $ US for individual membership/60 $ US for student membership)
· Be recommended by a qualified person who is currently teaching or working closely with the applicant and who is in a position to verify the applicant’s suitability for receiving an IKS Scholarship to the IKS Board of Directors.
· Attach a photograph (JPG) to the application.
· Submit their application to the International Kodály Society no later than 1 November (Round 1.) and 1 May (Round 2.).
· If the application is successful, the IKS will inform both the applicant and the responsible organizer of the chosen course and confirm that the tuition fee for Mrs./Ms./Mr. X will be paid by the IKS. The payment will be effected in due time.
Scholarship recipients will write a one-page report after completing the course for which the scholarship was received.
Application Procedure Steps
· Make sure that your membership status of the IKS is in good standing
· Identify a Kodály course relevant to your interest/need/expertise
· Download and fill in the application form
· Send it to the IKS office together with your photo by e-mail, no later than 1 November (Round 1.) and 1 May (Round 2.), and make sure that your (completed and downloaded) recommendation also reaches the office by that time.