The International Kodály Society was founded in 1975 in Kecskemét (Hungary). We support those working in the field of music and music education, particularly those following the legacy of Zoltán Kodály.
Key Features of the IKS:
- A world-wide organization with affiliated national organizations in many different countries.
- Directed by an international Board with an Executive Office is in Budapest, Hungary.
- The IKS publishes a Bulletin twice a year with a compilation of scientific articles about music education, and organizes biennial symposia.
- The IKS offers scholarships for foreign students to study the Kodály concept at the Zoltán Kodály Pedagogical Institute in Kecskemét, Hungary. An application form is available on this website.
Our values are:
- Individuals should be afforded the right and the opportunity to develop their musical gifts;
- Music education is an integral part of the normal school curriculum;
- The need for musical expression, inherent in every human being should be satisfied;
- Room should be made for authentic musical material that has educational value;
- As a step towards understanding between people, school song books, in addition to indigenous musical heritage, should contain songs selected from all over the world.
The IKS is aware that many are striving for the same goals, even if the ways of achieving those goals vary. We are convinced that musicians can play a unique role in shaping future generations by creating the necessary, but too often lacking, balance between intellectual potential and emotional growth.
At a time when governments around the world are reducing budgets for education and in particular for arts education, the task is not easy. Fortunately, we have the example of Zoltán Kodály and we are witnesses of what he realized through his unique personality and work. The IKS tries to keep his example as a source of strength to which we can turn at all times.
The IKS would be pleased to hear of your personal interest and will gladly respond to all your questions.