General Assembly 2016
Saturday, 23 July, 2016
Kodály Museum, Budapest
(Summary of the Minutes)
President James Cuskelly welcomed those present, then. gave a short overview of the past two years:
In October 2015 the Kodály Institute and IKS celebrated their 40th anniversaries with a festive concert in Budapest and a conference in Kecskemét.
The IKS launched a successful 40% discount campaign on its publications for the month of October.
There was a special interest in the IKS Scholarship and the Jubilee Scholarship offered for 2016.
He also spoke about the membership levy that some Affiliated National Institutional Members had taken up, while others decided to make donations to IKS.
He thanked IKS Treasurer David Vinden for collecting materials from all over the world for the new IKS publication of Canons which would be published soon.
The Reports of representatives of National Organizations followed.
- Margaret Oliver (British Kodály Academy)
- Giusi Barbieri (AIKEM)
- Takao Nakamura (Japanese Kodály Society)
- Dominika Lenska summarized the activities of the Kodály Society of the Philippines based on its annual report sent to the IKS Executive Office earlier
- Matthias Funkhauser (German Kodály Society)
- Michalis Patseas (Greek Kodály Society)
- James Cuskelly summarized the activities of the KMEIA based on its annual report sent to the IKS Executive Office earlier
- David Vinden summarized the activities of the Korean Kodály Society based on its annual report sent to the IKS Executive Office earlier
- László Nemes summarized the activities of La Voix de Kodály en France and the Hungarian Kodály Society based on their annual reports sent to the IKS Executive Office earlier
- Sandra Mathias summarized the activities of the Kodály Society of Canada and of OAKE based on their annual report sent to the IKS Executive Office earlier
Klara Gouel and her colleague Ágnes Lőrinc reported about the activities and achievements of Studio Kodály Genève, an Affiliated Local Institutional Member of IKS.
Michalis Patseas briefly spoke about how the Kodály Society of Mexico had been recently re-formed thanks to Hilda Mercedes Morán Quiroz and many others.
The Executive Secretary gave a brief update on the membership.
László Nemes gave a short report on the preparations of the next symposium in Canada in 2017, and informed the assembly that the symposium in 2019 will be held in Malaysia.
The members of the Election Committee were decided at the General Assembly according to the Board’s proposal: chair: Ildikó Herboly, members: Anna Waluga and Joy Nelson.
The Executive Secretary reviewed the amendments of the IKS Statutes, how the legal requirements of the new Hungarian Civil Code had to be incorporated into the Statutes of IKS. The General Assembly approved the amendments.
The next G.A. will be in Camrose, Alberta, Canada on 10 August 2017, during the 23rd International Kodály Symposium. The location and the timing will be announced later. The Agenda will be posted in due time on the IKS website.